Types of Child Care Available

Windham Child Care Association refers parents to child care programs in the Windham County area that are regulated by the State of Vermont.

Licensed Centers care for children of varying ages. The State of Vermont requires them to meet minimum health, safety, program, staffing and training requirements. Children are usually grouped in rooms by age. Centers often include infant, toddler and preschool programs. Most centers provide year-round schedules, with no options for weekend care.

Nursery Schools are generally part day programs for preschool age children (3-5 years). They are open during the school year only, with a few exceptions. Nursery schools are regulated as licensed centers.

Registered Family Child Care Homes provide care for children of varying ages. The maximum number of children in registered homes is 10 (2 under the age of two, 4 preschoolers and 4 school-age children). A few providers (not many!) provide evening and weekend care.

Licensed Family Child Care Homes can care for up to 12 children and a second adult is present when more than 6 children attend. With the exception of children under the age of two, these numbers do not include the provider’s own children. Children are cared for in the provider’s own home, usually in a mixed age group.  The State of Vermont requires providers to meet minimum safety, health, and training requirements.

School Age Care is defined by the State of Vermont as including a school age child who has attained the age required by law to attend school (age 6) or is attending a full day school session or kindergarten.  Regulated child care programs include licensed child care facilities and registered or licensed family child care homes. When a child care program is located in a school building, the program is regulated by the Child Development Division and must follow Vermont regulations for school age care.

Summer Care/Camps: There are various possibilities: family child care, licensed centers, parks and recreation departments, community-based organizations, school districts, and day or overnight camps. Recreation programs are not required to follow childcare licensing regulations.  These programs are defined as ones that do not operate on a regular and continuous basis, whose primary purpose is recreation. However, there are a few summer camps that are licensed with Vermont’s Child Development Division.

For more information about state regulations for child care programs, go to the State of Vermont Licensing website or call the state’s Child Care Licensing Division at 1-800-649-2642.

If you have a concern about a child care program, contact the Child Care Consumer Concern Line at 1-800-649-2642. This hotline can also be used to find out information about a program’s licensing history within the past year. Visit their website for more information